Niron Staal shows S690 experience to IHC and Heerema
During the months June and July 2014, Niron Staal has constructed two External Lifting Tools (ELT’s), ordered by IHC Handling Systems, for its client Heerema. These rather complicated tools, which are used to lift and upend large piles, weighs approximately 55 ton and is capable of sustaining a 700 ton lifting weight.
The project can be identified as a type of complex projects. Niron Staal has the right knowledge and ample experience to carry these out successfully. Niron’s capabilities in both construction and machining were utilized. The equipment has been manufactured under Lloyd’s Register rules. IHC Handling Systems will perform the final assembly and trial tests on site.
The complete scope of work for the order included:
- Preparation of work and necessary additional drawings
- Purchase of materials
- Preparation and certification of new welding procedures and performance qualification for S690 high strength steel
- Welding and welding monitoring
- Heat treatment (PWHT)
- Heavy duty machining (miling and boring)
- Blasting and coating
- Delivery of manufacturing books
Construction of the ELT
Machining of the ELT